Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sunday French Bread

Favorite Sunday Recipe....
If you eat dinner at my house on Sunday, you will most likely be served this bread.
In the Baking department, I do not consider myself skilled, in fact, I am hesitant to try any recipe involving bread baking, yet this recipe is easy and always turns out great. I promise if you try this, you will be pleasantly surprised all the way around.

This French Bread Recipe is from my dear friend, Jolynn W. Like so many recipes I have, I think of the person who gave me the recipe each time I make it. I can still remember exactly when and where Jolynn shared this recipe with me. It was a little over 10 years ago as she was sitting next to me at a Baby Shower given for me at the Smarinskys house when I was pregnant with Katherine. She knew the recipe by heart and now, 10 years later, so do I. She calls it simply, French Bread, however, I call it Jolynn's Sunday French Bread.

The number one tip Jolynn gave me was to make sure to use Bread Flour. I always do and it always turns out great. Generally, I use and swear by King Arthur Flour. I do not use Whole Wheat Flour for this recipe. Just Basic Unbleached Bread Flour.
Jolynn's Sunday French Bread
Makes 4 Loaves
5 C. Very Warm Water
4 Tbsp. Sugar
4 Tbsp. Oil (I usually use Canola Oil)
2 tsp. Salt
4 Tbsp Yeast
12 C. Bread Flour
1/4 C Corn Meal (For sprinkling on Baking Sheets)
2 Beaten Egg Whites (optional for brushing tops of bread before baking)

Combine Water, sugar, oil, salt, and yeast. Let sit for 5-7 minutes. Add 6 C Flour and mix on medium speed (I use my Kitchen Aid Mixer) until very smooth. Slowly add the remaining 6 Cups of flour, 1 Cup at a time. Mix well until dough cleans the sides of the bowl. Dough will be soft and sticky still.
Cover bowl with damp cloth and let rise for 40 minutes

Lay Dough out on oiled counter top. Divide in to 4 equal parts. Roll each part in to a long rectangle. Starting at one long side, roll up jelly roll style. Pinch ends and sides together. Lay on lightly greased Baking Sheet that has been sprinkled evenly with Corn Meal.
Make slashes on top. Brush top with egg whites (for a softer crust, eliminate this step- I rarely brush the tops with egg whites)
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes-just until crust turns light gold.

***This makes 4 long loaves of delicious, hot from the oven French Bread. I use one for dinner, send one home with who ever is our dinner guest, deliver one to someone who I want to thank or say I am thinking of them, etc. and  IF the 4th one is remaining, it is used to make French Bread Pizza the next day.


Enjoy! I promise this will become one of your favorites!

2 comments:

Emilyah said...

Ohh, thanks for sharing this Shauna. Hopefully I can successfully make it too. Unless it is banana bread I won't even attempt to make fresh bread in this home because compared to Nik's breads it would likely be terrible! ;-)

Cathi said...

I wonder if King Arthur flour is available in CA? I can't wait to try this recipe.