Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What Would You Grab?


California Fires
The devastating fires raging in California take my thoughts in so many directions. Lives are forever changed in an instant with this disaster.
One of my thoughts is something I have to ponder each Hurricane Season. If I had to leave my home quickly, What Would I Bring With Me? Where would I go temporarily? Where would I set up a new life if my house was destroyed?
So....What Would I Bring With Me? The obvious is my husband, children, and pets.
After them, I would grab all the photos in my house. All the albums and boxes full of photos. I would put them in large Rubber Maid Tubs (this is what I do when a Hurricane is approaching) and load them in the car. I have years and years of photos that are pre-digital photography days. They are not scanned or stored on-line. If I ran out of space, I would just bring all the CD's of recent photographs. I keep saying I am going to start using an on-line photo storage system like, SmugMug. This may be the motivation I need to actually take advantage of such a system.
After my photos, I would bring all the Documents, such as Insurance Papers, Birth Certificates,etc. They are all in one accordion file that can be easily transported in case of emergency.
A 72 hour kit, as recommended the LDS Church would come with me, also. A Back Pack for each person with food, water, clothing, medicines, etc. to last 72 hours in the wake of disaster.
Whenever disaster hits-anyplace--anywhere, I spend time evaluating my own ability to handle an emergency or disaster. Each time a Hurricane approaches or actually hits, I become better and better prepared and less anxious about caring for my family and home in such a circumstance.
So..What would you bring if you had to evacuate your home for a disaster? How are you prepared now for such a circumstance? How can you be better prepared? I would love to hear your answers and ideas.
My thoughts and prayers are with those who are affected by the California Wild Fires in any way.

3 comments:

Curt Hostetler said...

If you are looking to use an online photo place, I recommend Picasa. It's from Google and is integrated with blogger, so you can upload photos then just click 'blog it'. When considering natural disasters, etc, we decided to make multiple copies of a DVD that has all our wedding photos on it. You have a copy, and so do Carmen's parents. I guess it's my version of 'off-site storage'.

love.boxes said...

I think cash is important because maybe you won't be able to use a credit card some places. You probably thought of that already.. I think you've thought of everything.

Shauna said...

Yes, Tiffany, cash is very important. We have learned that with Hurricanes here. There is not electricity so businesses cannot take Credit cards and will not take checks or debit cards.