Monday, November 12, 2007

Garage Sale Update

Off Day Garage Sale
Saturday was the day.... my second Garage Sale this year (A few of my neighbors are not so happy about this). We are helping Katherine earn money for her Washington DC Patrol trip.
Having had several Garage Sales, (and saying I will never do it again each time) this was clearly the strangest Garage Sale ever. It was more than just and "off day". Low crowds...and we advertised...non-buying crowds...and we had lots and lots of "stuff". People were just not there...the crowds just never came. The early birds never descended upon us. People were not even asking about prices, bargaining, etc. Even the "regulars" were just not there.. the ones we know will shoplift, rudely bargain, etc.
There were 4 Garage Sales in my neighborhood that day, all of us had the same experience. There was not even a "dent" made in the piles of "stuff". Very, very strange. With a shaky economy, I thought people would be shopping at Garage Sales at high speed...If people are not even shopping at Garage Sales... I am already feeling the pain for the Retail Stores, who, if you have noticed, have already had their "After Thanksgiving Day Sales"
My dear husband does not get rid of anything. These shoes are clearly not wearable, nor are they "Garage Sale Worthy" It takes something drastic...like the sole completely coming off of his Basketball shoes...for him to finally part with something and replace it.
Note the shoe laces are missing.... They are still good for something! Actually... they are missing in honor of Andrew, who is in Peru. Andrew used to "borrow" Ron's shoes laces and it drove us all crazy. One time I found the shoes in the Garbage Can...hidden so Ron would not notice the shoe laces had been borrowed....Hello... The shoes AND the laces were missing... he noticed! Thank Goodness Andrew got older and is growing up!
One of several Garage Sale tables in my driveway. The Children's Clothing is always the first to sell and there is never one item of Children's Clothing left. This table was still full at the end of the sale. I think I sold 20 items from it. Very Very Odd.....My estimate is the crowd was about 1/4 of the usual size.

1 comment:

superherotrainer said...

Last time we had a garage sale we had maybe 5 people show up and made about $20 total. We were giving stuff away at the end just to get rid of it. For me it is just easier to give it away now. I'm sure you have a lot nicer stuff than we did. Sorry it didn't go well.