Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Service Project: Christmas In Peru

Yes, You Can Help ChangeThe World...
See below...
Project: Christmas In Peru
Anyone who knows me, is aware that I love to serve others. I know with all my heart that I receive more than I ever give... I am energized and lifted up when serving at any level. I look for ways to serve every day. I realize that many times, I do not even consider what I do as service, it is just the way I live. With this as the center of my life, It is heartwarming to hear my son, Andrew, living this same attitude...Read more....
My son , Elder Andrew Hostetler, has given me the names of 10 (maybe more) Missionaries in his Mission who will not/do not receive any mail their entire 2 years of service. Most of these Missionaries are serving from Central or South America. They come from very humble circumstances, making great sacrifices to serve.
As a Christmas gift to Andrew and a Christmas Service Project, our family is making sure each Missionary has at least one Care Package mailed directly to him---that he has his own mail with his own package--not something shared with him from another person's Care Package.
Andrew has requested that the Missionaries never know he was involved with this surprise.
I have asked the members of my local Church (Ward) and my family and friends to participate. I have a specific list of items to include in the package, along with shipping and packing instructions.
Last year, I sent 4 filled Christmas stockings, 1 for Andrew and 3 for the South American Missionaries he was living with for Christmas. They cried when they opened their stockings saying it was the best Christmas they had ever had. I fill the stockings with ties, socks, toothbrushes, toothpaste, Candy Canes, etc.Very basic items.
With the above in mind.... You can help in a few ways...
  • Contact me for a name of a Missionary to prepare a Care Package and a list of suggested items to include. (packages need to be mailed by November 30)
  • Donate $$ to help with shipping costs
  • Contact the LDS Mission President in your local area and find out which Missionaries he has serving who will not receive Christmas Packages.
  • If you know a Missionary serving in a foreign country, find out about the Missionaries in that area who will not receive a Christmas Package from home, and send double.

The response has already been wonderful. During this Season of Thanksgiving, I am Thankful for every opportunity to serve and literally change the world, one act at a time. I know with all my heart that service changes the world. Wthout service, my life would be dark and empty.

Whether you participate in a Service Project like this or another... make sure your Christmas plans include making someone's life brighter...hence changing the world.

1 comment:

love.boxes said...

What a wonderful and really fun idea!