Friday, December 7, 2007

Gingerbread

Gingerbread House Session #1
This is the first of 3 groups I will build Gingerbread (actually small Graham Cracker) Houses with this Christmas Season.....
Generally, I work with a group of 5-6 children at a time. Each group takes about 20 minutes. I pipe the Royal Icing (recipe below) on and they decorate with the candies provided.
Every house, every time turns out differently and oh so cute!

Making Gingerbread houses, large or small, is one of my very favorite Christmas traditions.
This is the gift I give to my children's school classes, neighborhood friends, scout groups.
Two more groups to go next week.. The Primary Activity Day Girls and My Young Women from Church!
Even if you buy a Gingerbread House kit, I would recommend using this Royal Icing in a pastry bag. It works much better than the icing mixes or pre-mixed icings that come with the kits. Caution-Royal Iciing contains Raw Egg Whites. I have never had a child get sick or any other problems over the last 35 years while using this icing, but I alway use caution and tell children not to eat the icing.
Royal Icing
3 Egg Whites
1 1/2 lbs Confectioners Sugar (more or less depending on humidity)
1/4 tsp Cream Of Tarter
Add the Cream of Tarter and 1 lb of the Confectioner Sugar to the Egg Whites. In an electric mixer, beat on high. Gradually add remaining Sugar and continue to beat until icing forms peaks. The icing will still have a shine to it.

3 comments:

Erika said...

OK, you've convinced me. I think I'll try it with my girls.

P.S. Made the brownie balls for our RS Christmas Enrichment. They came out...eh ok. I probably didn't make them right. I think if I had been able to find the semi-sweet Ghirardelli (which I prefer), I would have liked them better.

Cathi said...

I'm seriously checking my schedule. I want to come for the young women's night. It however is not a good time since NY had surgery on Wednesday. He needs me!! With the holidays the flights may be full but I'm checking!!
How did your entry in the cookie contest do??

love.boxes said...

They did a great job!