Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Silver Screen Cinema Cafe

Loved This Movie....
Great messages, great lines... and a feel-good, thought provoking movie.
What would be on your Bucket List?????
(as in what you want to do before you "kick the bucket")
Made me think about mine!!!!
My list is definitely people centered VS places and events centered.
Yes, very predictable writing and some not so realistic situations in this movie, but I liked it.
There were so many great lines, I even took some notes!
I always think I am not going to like Jack Nicholson, but he is such a psycho brilliant actor and he always wins me over.
Morgan Freeman...loved him in the movie and love him as a person! I was on a plane with him a few years back and he was so nice to my girls. Loved his voice, demeanor, etc.
The extreme movie prude in me is not making a huge mention of the fact that there was some foul language in this film. Not much, but some. One wordis too much as far as I am concerned.
Those who know me are aware that I will leave a movie if the movie starts being pieced together with bad language. I have even been known to ask for a refund...and get it!
What made seeing this movie even more fun???
Going to Wellington's own version of "The Dollar Movies"
Silver Screen Cinema and Cafe!
and...
Being on a date with my best friend and love.... Mr. Ron!!!!
We call ahead to make reservations for a movie and dinner, which is always surprisingly delicious.
It is just an experience unique to "Welly-world".
Yes, I think they still have the same tables and chairs from the 80's and they have not changed the screens, the sagging curtains, or the not so great sound-system, but I love this little mom and pop place.
The owner, Liz, is there every week and makes sure to speak with us and sees that we are taken care of and happy.
Here is how long I have lived in Wellington...besides, too long...I can remember when The Silver Screen did not serve meals, and was only ONE theater, not the two small theaters it has now and when it was the ONLY Movie Theater in the Western Communities for miles and miles and miles around. (Big change from all the choices we have now..all in the name of progress)
And the most fond memory.... I remember when at the beginning of every movie, before the previews, the Star Spangled Banner would be played and everyone would stand up and place a hand over their heart during the song....yep...that was days gone by...I have lived here too long.
Next week, if time allows, we will see Vantage Point.
You know a movie will be on the market available for purchase as a DVD soon if it is playing at the Silver Screen Cinema and Cafe!!!
Here are a few lines, roughly quoted...
Both men are facing death and were discussing the Egyptian belief of what happens when someone dies.
A person is asked two questions which determine whether or not they are allowed in to heaven:
1) Have you found JOY in your life?
2) Has your life brought JOY to others?

My experience, thus far in life, is that when I help others feel joy, I find the most joy.
Pondering these questions is a great reminder of those truths I hold dear and an opportunity to think about where I am in life's journey.
I am seriously compiling my Bucket List. I find it has more to do with people than going to faraway places and doing exciting things.
What would be the focus of your Bucket List????

2 comments:

B. Allred said...

I saw the original Batman movie at that theater before it was a dinner theater. Then, after my mission, my mom, sister and I went to see the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie there. Oh the memories.

love.boxes said...

Good questions! This movie is playing here as well.. I'll have to go see it. I think the main thing on our list is to see our daughter grow up, marry and have a very happy life and family of her own. That would be real joy for me... all the other stuff is frosting on the cake!