Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Not A Pleasant Conversation

This Was Not A Conversation I Wanted To Have...
With Ron, or anyone, for that matter....
It was our first day at the beach for this season. I was home from the cold snow in Utah and Spring Break was looking up. Lake Worth Beach was perfect... the waves, the breeze, LUNCH from JOHN G'S...Fish and Chips to be precise. It was one of those beach days that you just want to stay all day and in to the evening.
Then, I went to the parking lot to add money to my meter....
That is when I had to make this phone call to Ron.
Ring Ring Ring....
Ron: Hello
Me: (Hesitating and Choked up)
Ron: Whats The Matter?
Me: I am at Lake Worth Beach (still unable to speak fluidly)
Ron: Is everything OK?
Me: No. It's the car. It is gone.
Ron: What? The Car is gone?
Me: Yes, it is impounded. The parking lot attendant said it was towed away due to unpaid parking tickets dated in December. I have never had a parking ticket so this must be from Andrew at Christmas time when he used my car.They told me I have to pay $1,000 to get the car back.
Ron: What? Now there has to be a way to solve this without paying $1,000 to get the car back (He was his usual VERY CALM rational-think-it-through-self)
Me: Oh, and my purse is in the car...they have my purse, my ID, my money, my credit cards, EVERYTHING
Ron: Who can I call to work this out?
Me: Can you come pick me and the kids up (I had 5 kids with me)
Ron: Do you have a number I can call or a person I can talk to?
Me: APRIL FOOLS!
Ron: OK, now who should I talk with about this...Everything is going to be alright. We will work this out.
Me: APRIL FOOLS! DEAR! I LOVE YOU!
Our First day at The Beach was April 1!!!!!
Unless it is April Fools Day...
This is Definitely a Conversation I Don't Want to Have with ANYONE!
I actually surprised myself with this April Fools prank. It went off without a hitch. I was even able to hesitate and stammer at just the right times during the conversation.
Later Ron would tell me that once he had established that the kids and I were OK and no one was hurt or injured, he was able to focus in on the car problem and not get upset. He is just so "cool under fire". What a blessing and balance this is to me!
Oh, and Andrew, sorry to bring you in on a situation that you had absolutely NOTHING to do with...for once!
Some Years, the joke is great..this was one of those years!
Did you pull off a great April Fools Day Joke this year?
What about in other years?

4 comments:

Curt Hostetler said...

Wow...that's mean, good one though! I totally would have fallen for it too. Glad it's not true!

Casey Gentle said...

I loved it! I couldn't think of anything. There was a lady that worked for my dad. They were in a building with 4 floors and had a great view of a restaurant next door. On each floor, she put a note on the Men's bathroom door "out of order, use _ floor." After going to each floor and finding all bathrooms out of order, all day long she watched as men went running across the parking lot into the restaurant.

John and Katie said...

That was GREAT!!!!!!!! I'm so pround of you!!!!!!

mommom31 said...

Priceless Shauna--so creative! It reminded me of the time I parked my mom's car there the day after the decal expired. He must have been so relieved. Or, was he expecting that it might have been an april fool thing? I didn't even do any this year, but Elizabeth and Nicholas got me a few times before bedtime with some stuff.