Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Granola and a Flashback

For Father's Day, I made homemade granola for Ron and my dad. It is my favorite recipe and I knew they would like it. Sunday mornings can be so rushed, I thought this would be a quick breakfast for Ron. And when Publix had Buy One-Get One Free Oats this week..it was a done deal.
Because I have been asked for the recipe several times over the past few days, here it is...no having to search through a few layers on my blog and link to my sister's blog and search through a few more links.
Here is a photo from the first time I blogged about granola in 2007 (5 years ago? Seriously?)
Granola**
4 C Old Fashioned Oats (don't use rolled or quick or steel cut oats)
1/2 C Wheat Germ
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Coconut (optional depending on tastes)
1/2 C Sunflower Seeds ( I use more and use the lightly salted sunflower seeds)
1/4 C Flax Seeds (Optional-unless you have my genetics)
1 C Nuts (your choice) I use Almonds. I chop up about 1/4 C and add the rest whole
Mix this all together in a large bowl.

In a saucepan mix together:
1/2 C Vegetable or Canola Oil (dont use Olive Oil-it is too heavy for this)
3/4 C Honey
Stir constantly over medium-high heat and bring to a rolling boil
Add:
2 tsp Vanilla
Stir Well and pour over Oat mixture. Mix until all are well coated.

Spread oat mixture on large baking sheet.
Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes.
Watch closely and do not let it cook too long. It will burn quickly.
You want it to be golden, but not too brown.
Remove from oven and let sit to cool.
Break into large chunks and store in air tight containers.

**This is my basic recipe. I never add dry fruit until I am going to eat it. When I am ready to eat, I sprinkle craisins, raisins, or any other dried fruit on top.
For the nuts and seeds, add what you like the best, be creative and make this a custom mix that you will enjoy.
Pecans are very good in this recipe. I have never tried Walnuts, but if that is your nut of choice, you will like it.
Enjoy!



No comments: