Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sixteen

Katherine turned 16 yesterday.
We are in Dallas, TX at the ACDA Conference.
As we attended the orientation yesterday, it was clear to me that this was a once in a life time experience for Katherine and her sixteenth birthday would be filled with happy memories.
I am so grateful for Katherine and that I am blessed to be her mother.

I knew Katherine had to work hard to audition and be invited to attend this conference but now that we are here, I realize just how amazing her vocal talent is what an honor it is for her to have been selected as one of 300 girls. Thousands of High School vocal students from all over the USA auditioned for this opportunity and only 300 were chosen for the High School Girls Honors Choir.
There is also a Junior High Choir and a Mixed High School Choir, both choirs have 300 members in them. So there are almost 1,000 choir members here and the chaperones (mostly parents) to match.
Each choir is led by directors, assistants, and accompanists  from all over the USA, with credentials that make me want to sit in every session and learn all I can.
As chaperones, we sit and sit and sit and wait and wait and wait at the hotel. The comfy chairs in the lobby are the coveted prize. We aren't staying at the Hyatt Hotel where the conference is because the rooms were sold out. We are staying 10 minutes away so I cant just go up to my room during rehearsal times.
Last night, they rehearsed until 10pm. Today there are 3 rehearsals. At meal time, I meet Katherine and I try to get her out for some fresh air and a nutritious meal. We have the routine down and the meeting spots set so we are working together to make this a fun time.
Yesterday, I walked around and found Chipotle, plus a few other restaurants. I also walked by the Sixth Floor Museum, which I will visit today or tomorrow. Lots of interesting things to see and do here in Dallas, but very little time to get out and do them. Before we blink, we will be on a plane headed home with happy memories. I wasn't even thinking about visiting people here or even remembering that I know people in this area, but I do have a dear friend we will eat dinner with on Friday night. The more I think about it, I think I know a lot of people in this area, but no time to visit.

On Saturday, we get to see this hard work come together at a concert. I am so excited to see and hear it.

Katherine is 16 and we are on a wonderful adventure.

No comments: