Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Happy Birthday to My Mom

During this Covid-19 quarantine, I am celebrating my mom's Birthday today by NOT going to visit her in person.
Instead, I will share a few things about my mom that make her special. If you know her, you will agree and could easily add to this list:

1) She does not like being the center of attention. 
2) She is a "quiet giant", always looking for ways to serve others. Recently, I called and asked her what she was doing. Her reply, "I am preparing a meal to deliver to an old lady down the street." She rarely lets her own age limit her when she sees a need.
3) I have NEVER heard my mom gossip or say unkind things about other people. As I have grown older, I realize that she could have repeated so many wild stories and shared so many unkind words. She and my dad were leaders in the church, community, and business world so they clearly knew the good, bad, and ugly about people, yet did not share. Our family spent a lot of time driving in the car and as a child riding in the backseat, I never overheard negative stories, conversations, etc. I also never heard her speaking ill of others while she was on the phone. This is a one of the greatest gifts she has given me.
4) She taught me to live my faith, not just talk about it.
5) She has always prepared healthy meals at home. Growing up, I never went to a restaurant or fast food unless we were traveling. We never had soda, chips, etc in the house unless it was New Years Eve. The Birthday cakes, cookies, and breads were homemade. She still cooks fresh, nutritious meals every day.
6) She exercises daily. Recently, she was at our house and said she could not spend the night on Sunday as she needed to get home to be in her Monday morning Pilates class.
7) She loves music and has participated in choirs, quartets, trios, etc. As a young girl, I recall waking up to her practicing her scales. Her singing voice is angelic
8) She loves to play and learn new games. Scrabble, Boggle, Tile Rummy, Phase 10, and Scattergories, are some of her favorites. She also works on daily Crossword and Sudoko puzzles.
9) Do not call her during the "power hour" each evening aka when Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune air. Don't ask her to record it and watch later. In addition, she loves the Game Show Network.
10) She is always learning, reading, and studying new things.
11) Some of the jobs I remember her having are: working as a car-hop at a root beer drive-in restaurant, working at a grocery store bakery and at an ice-cream parlor that had 39 flavors, a school lunch lady at one of my elementary schools, working for Dun and Bradstreet providing credit report information, working in the office of the Atlanta LDS Temple. She was a PTA Room Mom, a Relief Society President 3 times, Primary President, Young Women President, my camp leader, my sister's girl scout leader, a coach for both of my brothers as they earned the Eagle Scout ranks, and so much more.
12) My family moved all over the United States as my dad's career was advancing. Several times, my mom set up house and started over in a completely new community, getting us enrolled in schools, etc. all the while not complaining. It was hard for all of us but her attitude took the edge off of those moves, always being the new kid in town, etc. ( I attended 11 different schools before graduating from High School)
13) She loves her family and will do anything for any one of us including dropping everything to hop on a plane and be at our sides in times of need, welcoming new babies, attending family milestone events. etc. During these times she cooks, bakes, plays games with the kids, and cleans our houses like they haven't been cleaned since the last time she visited.
14) As she grew up, her home life was chaotic at hands of an abusive father. She found peace in her faith and made a conscious choice to not bring abuse to her future family. She married my dad and they worked together to provide a positive, loving marriage and family life. Her choices have blessed my life every day.
I love my mom and I am grateful she is still here on this earth. I am looking forward to the time is is safe for us to hug and visit in person.

No comments: