Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back To School Traditions and Projects

Back To School Traditions And Projects
Kissing Hand Cookies and the following Stories work for Parents
at home or for Teachers to use during the first few days of school.
Read my in-depth post about this amazing book
Then read this book with your children for Back To School!
We prepare our children with school supplies, new clothes,
lunch boxes, bike helmets, the works.
However, do we spend enough time preparing them to
treat others with kindness? Do we teach them to look for the new
faces or those who may be a little different and include them
at their lunch table or at recess? This is a great book to read with a
Young Women Group, also. The message is vital.
The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
Do you have a child who is apprehensive about starting
school and/or leaving you. Are apprehensive about having your
children leave? If so, read this book with your children.
HERE is my in-depth review on this Book and Activity
Read
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
Then,
Make These Kissing Hand Cookies
Use any Sugar Cookie recipe, cut out in the shape
of hands (your own child's or a cookie cutter)
Top the cookie with a Hershey Kiss.
Make sure to pack these in your child's lunch
on the first day of school.
If you are a teacher, read this story and make these
cookies for a first day activity and snack!!!!!
Another version of Kissing Hand Cookies...
Cut out a small Heart Shape before baking.
Have you read either of these books?
Do you have any Back To School Traditions or Recommendations?

5 comments:

Doty Family said...

I just wanted to let you know that I stumbled across your blog a while back when looking for an idea for Young Women's and I love your blog. I visit often and just want to say thanks for sharing your ideas.

Doty Family said...

Sorry for the second comment, but wanted to say that I love both books. I have a copy of the Hundred Dresses and I got it hoping to use it in Young Women's, but was thinking of getting more copies and having all the girls read it and then having an activity to go over it. Like a dinner with their mom's and have 3 of the mom's speak about dresses that have had meaning in their life's such as wedding dress, blessing dress, etc. Any other ideas?? Something on a smaller scale? Thanks!

Amber M. said...

I just read "The Kissing Hand" with my son last night...but the cookies? Brilliant!

Amanda said...

I just found your blog from tip junkie. I LOVE the Kissing Hand cookies! My oldest starts first grade on Monday. I'll have to make them this weekend and read the book with him. Thanks for the idea!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

I saw this idea over at Tip Junkie and love the cookie idea. We did paper kisses to go along with this book, but I love to take it a step further and make treats too. Great idea.