Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Summer List

Check
Did you, as I did, have a list of things you want to accomplish
this summer?
I am excited to report that several are checked off, including
this biggie....
TEACHING MY GIRLS TO SEW!
Yep! Check that off the list!

The new sewing machine Ron bought for me in May
(Mother's Day, to be exact) finally got a work out.
It is an amazing machine. I must admit, I was intimidated by
it as it has so many bells as whistles compared to the
machines I have used in the past.
Everything is computerized on this machine and making
fancy border stitches is easy-schmeezy. Once I got over
being intimidated by yet, another advance in technology,
I gave myself an afternoon orientation to the machine.
Soon, I sat down withMegan to teach her the basics of a
Sewing Machine, the names of parts, and how to thread it, etc.
It was like a Mini-Home-Ec Class.
I was amazed at what came back to me after all these
years. More amazing was how quickly she caught on (oh,
what an amazing teacher I am, Ha!) She has been busy
making pillows, purses, doll clothes, etc.
Katherine had a lesson after Megan. I had Megan help me
teach Katherine some basics (for Megan's review benefit).
They both are comfortable and capable of sitting down to
sew. I showed them how to mend several items, which
crosses more off my "TO-DO" List...Mending.
They are both itching to make an item of clothing. Using
patterns, cutting the pieces and sewing them together will
be our next frontier!
Now that I see how much they enjoy sewing and how easy it
was to teach them, I wish I had started earlier in the summer.
Click HERE to see the another exciting thing my
girls learned this summer...At least I think it is exciting, it
will be several years before they think so...after all, it has
to do with toilets...
Am I the only one with A Summer To-Do List?
Do You Have One?
If so, how did you do?

6 comments:

superherotrainer said...

That second side profile picture of Megan looks exactly like you Shauna!

Cathi said...

My list is one of these on going never ending type lists.

Anonymous said...

Great post - love your blog. This is a great Summer activity and skill to learn. She's doing just fine!

Cathi said...

What sewing machine did yo get?

Cathi said...

Isn't the second photo of Katherine?

Shauna said...

Yes, the second photo is Katherine and I posted about my new machine. Lots of asks about it...
It is a computerized Brother XR7700, I think those are the right numbers and letters.