Monday, February 19, 2007

Well-Bread

Never have I considered myself a bread maker-baker, however, 2007 has changed that. I always thought breadmaking was difficult and quite honestly, antiquated and a waste of time. After all, I can buy bread any time at a variety of places. I have always enjoyed the results of others breadmaking efforts, at time being envious of their abilities and patience. In December, while my mom was staying at my house, I watched her use my ingredients in my kitchen with my tools. I watched every move from start to finish. I was motivated to try one more time to bake the perfect loaf of fresh whole wheat bread. Due to recent health developments, I had determined that white flour and white sugars had to be elimated from my diet. As I read the labels for store bought Whole Wheat bread, I found that the majority of them contained High Fructose Corn Syrup in them-- an even worse form of sugar. I had to take action and become a bread maker. I would once more go through the steps, grinding the wheat, making the dough, rising it, baking it, and hopefully enjoying it!!! Guess what-- it turned out!! I have turned in to a bread making machine!! My family eats this bread like candy! The recipe makes 4 loaves and we eat them in 5 days!!!

I have a used a few recipes, yet always come back to this one--Here is the recipe that I use:

Foolproof Whole Wheat Bread
2Tblsp. Dry Yeast
1Tbsp Sugar (opt.- I use it to help the yeast rise)
1/2 Cup Warm Water
5 Cups Hot Tap Water
2 Tblsp Salt
2/3 C Oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
2/3 Cup Honey or Raw Sugar (I use honey)
12 Cups Freshly Ground whole Wheat Flour ( I use white wheat)

**I do not use any Vital wheat gluten or dough conditioner as a rule, but I did yesterday and it was good. **I have been experimenting with add-ins such as: 1 C. Ground Flax Seed Mill (very heart healthy or 1 C Steel Cut Oats ground, or 1 C Cooked Oatmeal

**Now that I am gaining confidence in the bread department, I will use a few more add ins. I like using the oats in any form as they are soluable fiber and the wheat is insoluable.

Directions
Sprinkle year into the 1/2 C warm water, sprinkle sugar on top, if desired. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.
In mixer (I use my Bosch Mixer) combine the hot tap water with 7 cups of flour.Mix on low speed until well blended. Add salt, oil, and honey, and mix well. Add the preparest yeast mixture and blend thoroughly. Add 3-4 cups flour, blend well. Add remaining flour. You may need 1 more cup. You want the dough to be just sticky enough that it does not stick to the bowl when mixing. Do not add too much flour or your bread will not be moist. Once all flour is added, Knead for 10 minutes on low speed . Make sure the dough cleans the side of the bowl and does not stick as it is mixing.
If you do not have a mixer, knead by hand on an oiled counter top for at least 10-15 minutes.
Once the kneading is done, place dough on oiled counter and divide into 4 equal parts. Place in well oiled (I use spray Pam) pans. Make sure to spray all the way up the sides. Oil top of crusts if a soft crust is desired. Cover loaves with cloth. Let rise in 1/3 bulk for apporximately 55 minutes. Backe at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans. Put on rack to cool. Brush tops with butter or oil, if desired.

Totally enjoy and get ready to make more in a few days!!!!!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

i am always very hesitant about yeast because it is so temperamental, or maybe it is just me that is temperamental! i am glad you have had such good results. do you use glass bread loaf pans?

Shauna said...

I use glass loaf pans. I learned that from a master bread maker, Cindy Jump. I have been using regular yeast VS fast rising. So far, so good.