Friday, May 18, 2007

Book Review

The Measure Of A Man a spiritual autobiography by Sidney Poitier
Summer has not even begun and I have completed one of the books on my "To Read This Summer" List.
My decision to read this book was out of a great respect and admiration for Sidney Poitier and his work and his life. Reading about his early beginnings, his struggles, and how humble beginnings motivated him to continually push to excel in all areas. He points out what a blessing having nothing was and how few people in this country have that blessing any more. A great man and a great book. Sidney Poitier's influence in Theater and American Culture is far reaching. Love this man and am thankful for his insight and wisdom.
A Side Note: Maybe this is just me, but I have to state this huge pet peeve of mine when it comes to Literature, movies, entertainment, and language in America or any other Culture. The F#%* word is totally offensive and NEVER necessary to make a point. Yes, this book contained that word and other curse words regularly. It was not necessary and in some cases detracts from the beauty of the message. I don't consider myself a prude. I am very open-minded, yet, as a people we have lost the art of civility in speech and language. We have lowered our tolerance as to what is acceptable. As a people, I know we can and should elevate our definition of what is and is not acceptable in speech and language. Is it just me?

3 comments:

Gardener said...

you almost had me until I read your side note. If I see that word twice within the first few pages, I cannot read the book. Its a huge pet peeve for me as well.

GeNee said...

Sidney Poiter speaks so beautifully and so poised most of the time. I was really surpised that he used this word so much in the book. But it was a honest book about himself, about his accomplishments and about his regrets. There were many of life's lessons to learn from him so I was glad I read it anyway.

Jodi said...

I agree. I read this book a few years ago and felt the same way you did. How did I decide that this book was worth reading when most books with the same language would have bothered me enough to put it down? I don't know, maybe I justified the good message. Although, unlike you, the older I get, and the more tolerant the world is, the more prude I feel :)