Thursday, May 17, 2007

Summer Reading Recommendation

As a child, these books by Virginia Lee Burton were two of my favorites. Now, my children love their timeless, sweet messages.
Megan and I were going through our children's books tonight deciding what books to read for summer. She placed these in her "My Favorite--Must Read" pile.
You and your children will love the sweet personality of this Little House and the timeless message of "progress" and what it means in our lives.
In Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel, I can still remember wondering how it felt for Mike and his steam shovel to be stuck in the hole they dug, yet being so excited about them getting to live in the basement of the new Town Hall. The positive personality of The Steam Shovel is prominent in my memory from childhood reading. Mike Mulligan and his "can do" attitude are inspiring.

Enjoy making your summer reading plans! These books have remained favorites over 5 decades for a reason! I am sure they are on the shelf at your local library!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Mike Mulligan is one of my favorites as well. I love the illustrations.