Monday, May 28, 2007

Dont Laugh Too Hard and More To The Story

Memorial Day...
Never, have I been known for any great athletic prowess in any sport, yet, for comic relief purposes, I post my attempt at playing softball today at the annual Memorial Day Church Picnic. It has been a long time since I tried to swing a bat to hit anything. It just looks so easy for everyone else. Our Ward has a tradition of EQ vs HP Softball game every Memorial Day (the young buck Elders won). After the men's game today, the women decided they wanted their own game..hence, my great batting attempt. Be impressed with my form! I was in charge of the picnic so felt I could not stay to play for most of the Women's game, for which the women should be very grateful. The short amount of playing time was, for me, totally fun. (See story below)
Yes, I was trying to hit the softball! (see story below)
When I was around 14 years old, the Young Men and Young Women in my Ward decided to have an impromptu softball game on a Saturday afternoon. It was the dreaded Team Captains picking their team members. Not being known for my athletic abilities, I was used to being picked dead last. You can imagine my surprise when, I was 1) Picked first and 2) Appointed the Team Pitcher! What did they know that I did not? Oh well, I thought, how hard can it be, I will be just fine pitching.
The game started, and I threw the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and FINAL (4th) pitch. It was time to change pitchers. Obviously, I was not a pitcher.
Quickly I realized why I had been picked first and chosen as the pitcher. It was because of my DAD's athletic ability. The boys knew my dad, played sports with him on occasion, and respected him as a gifted athlete.They assumed I would have the same gifts and abilities.... wrong!
Because of who my dad is, big things were expected of me.
I have used this incident many times to ponder an even larger realization, one that everyone can relate to. Because of who my Father is (my Father in Heaven), big things are expected of me. Because I am a Child Of God, Big things are expected of me and I have the support to make those "big" expectations a reality. I may not have the ability to represent my earthly father well in athletic settings, yet I can represent my Heavenly Father well at all times, in all things, and in all places.By representing my Heavenly Father well, I am able to represent my earthly father in the areas that matter most.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you need to get a Wii to practice your swing...