Sunday, May 27, 2007

Picnic Detour


Seed-spitting contest cancelled due to lack of SEEDS!
It seems that the seedless watermelons are standard now-even on Memorial Day Weekend.
I am in charge of the Church Memorial Day Picnic tomorrow. Planning for some 300+ in attendance, I attempt to cover the wide range in age and interest.
The Watermelon Seed-Spitting and Pie Eating Contests have become the two favorites.
I have searched high and low for SEEDED watermelons. I tried Publix, Costco, Albertsons, Wal-Mart and a few Produce markets...no seeds. Finally, I was driving by a truck parked at the side of the road full of hundreds of watermelons, I was certain this would be the mother-lode of seeded watermelons...NO seeds. The man explained to me that he no longer grows or sells seeded watermelons due to the decrease in demand. In recent years, the demand for seedless watermelons has far exceeded the desire for those with seeds. I am sure I am not the only one who had to cancel a long enjoyed seed spitting contest as part of our Memorial Day festivities. In the place of this contest, a watermelon-eating contest will be introduced.
Mmmmm....not too long ago.... I had to search high and low, not to mention pay an arm and leg for a rare seedless watermelon.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Interesting. I still see seeded watermelons here in TX. Maybe it's just the Wellington crowd that doesn't appreciate seeds. We have seedless too of course. Usually though the seedless are not as sweet (in my experience) as the regular seeded.

Shauna said...

You are right about the sweetness and the whole Welly crowd!