Monday, May 28, 2007

For The Record


For The Record...
I spent more filling up my car last week than I did on groceries! Yep..$99.00 at the pump. When we first married, $99 was an entire month's food bill (I know, I know, that was 27 years ago)
The feeling I had spending $99 at the gas pump was similar to the sinking feeling I had the first time I spent $99 on Groceries in one week, not one month.
On the same record:
Thank you to all Gas Station owners who decided to finally keep up with the side effects of rising Gas Prices. Finally, the pumps do not turn off automatically at $50, no, not even $75, now they are set to go off automatically at $100. My gratitude for this change is a double edged sort of gratitude. No, I am not happy about the price I pay at the gas pump, however, yes, I do not miss having to wait for the sale to reach $50, complete the sale, and re-scan my credit card for part two of the ridiculously expensive gas purchase. Eliminating this annoying step may ( I mean-just may-no guarantee) take the edge off the sinking feeling I have as I watch the numbers go high and higher by the second.
When I started driving, gas was 35 cents per gallon. I felt generous to contribute $2-$3 worth of gas to the family car gas tank. At that price, the contribution was actually noticeable!
What was the price of gas when you started driving?

5 comments:

Erika said...

$1.30/gallon when I started driving around 1995.

It costs me about $50-60 to fill up the minivan right now. Luckily, I only use a tank of gas every 10-14 days. It's nice to have a "free" waterpark in our neighborhood (cuts down on summer driving). Of course if you count the HOA fees and high taxes we pay to live here, it's not really free.

superherotrainer said...

I feel your pain. I feel like retep drives to work to make the money so that he can drive to work. We pay twice as much in gas as we do in groceries. I try to go to as few places as I can these days. I really hope it goes back down.

Anonymous said...

We're probably one of few families that hasn't really felt the 'pain at the pump'. It's times like these that I don't feel so bad having sold my car and taking public transportation. Don't get me wrong, I'm no environmentalist, I just didn't need a car for driving 10 miles a week to and from the train station. Of course, Carmen still has her car, but one tank to fill is much easier than 2.

love.boxes said...

I am feeling the pain in several ways... postage is now very expensive as well making it more difficult in the home business arena. And, I feel like the price of groceries is climbing as well. I don't remember what gas cost when I started driving because I didn't drive a lot until I was about 29 and had my own car and then it was about 1.25 I think. I miss 1.25, :(

Cathi said...

I got my driver's license on my 16th birthday. I also got 50 cents a day for "lunch". (I never got a cost of living raise!!)
I drove a big steel (or so it seemed) 1949 chevy with a hemi and a holly. On my way to school I stopped and spent TWENTY-FIVE CENTS on petrol. That was usually one gallon depending on the "gas wars". That left me 25 cents to buy a maple bar donut and a milk during snack break at school. I bummed lunch.