Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Math Fair

Math In a Bag of M&M's

Megan won First Place for her 2nd Grade Math Fair Project.
The beauty of this project is that it was something SHE could do all by herself.
It was truly HER project. It had to be her project because of my HUGE PHOBIA
(see below)
Megan had to use as many Math Concepts as possible.
She estimated which color was the most common.
She separated and grouped each color.
She broke each color pile into Groups of ten, with remainders displayed individually.

She the counted by tens and added the remainder numbers for a final number (total) within each group.

She repeated this proecess with 3 large bags of M&Ms to see if the results were the same in each bag. Each time she counted, she recorded the results (data) and made a chart to show and compare the colors in each bag.

Was each bag the same? Was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th place colors the same in all 3 bags?

Then it was my turn to help.... I helped type up the results for her Project Board.
All of the groups of ten....
So.....which color was the most common in all 3 bags?

Was it the same for all three?

Was the ratio the same in all three?

Well...

Green won in all bags!

The ratio was the same in each bag as far as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th place.
Before Blue M&Ms were added to the mix, which color was the most common?
Dark Brown. Remember there used to be Dark Brown and Light Brown. The Light Brown was replaced by Blue. Am I old or does someone else remember this????

There was more Math in these bags of M&Ms than I anticipated!

The irony of me helping my children, or any one on the planet, with anything math related is that I am seriously, seriously, seriously MATH-PHOBIC. Dont even say the word to me, I will hyperventilate (well, not so much anymore, but there was a time....) And now, my 8 year old daughter WON the Math Fair First Prize and
I HELPED HER!
There may be hope for me making friends with anything MATH yet....especially if chocolate is involved!

2 comments:

Emilyah said...

Great work Megan! It would have been so tempting to eat those M&M's while counting. I'm math-phobic too- I just hope my children inherit Nik's intelligence in that subject area!

love.boxes said...

What a great project!! Good for Megan. Megan I never would have been able to do that one because I would have eaten all the candy and then had to say.. "There was no candy in the bag." or "All the green ones are in my tummy!" :)