Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Dont Think I Am The Only One

However, tell me if I am.....
I cry and cry when I watch and hear the reports on Haiti....I cry.

Today, my inbox was filled with "Give To Haiti" projects, requests, etc. As PTA President at a very giving school....you can imagine the questions I had about "What Are WE, as a school, going to do for Haiti? (One person even asked if I would indefinitely be willing to take in one of the hundreds of orphaned children arriving in South Florida over the nex few days...I will really have to think about that one-there is a story behind this request, which I will share when time permits)
Thankfully, our School District has a plan to assist and we will participate. When there is such a need, it is heartwarming to see the very best in people come forward with offers of help. Unfortunately, there are those who take advantage of a catastrophic situation and are not honest with their intentions or what they do with the money and goods collected. Thankfully, there are more people with good intentions than bad.
With this in mind, there is one organization I will ALWAYS give time and money....The LDS Humanitarian Aid Fund (Right now, I will write "Haiti" on that donation line, until I hear otherwise)
I trust where EVERY penny or item collected will go. Visiting the LDS Humanitarian Center in Salt Lake City is one of my favorite experiences ever. Sometimes, I prefer to go there over Temple Square. It is a thrill for me to see how much help is extended to people all over the world, regardless of Religion.
Maybe because I am in South Florida and I have Haitian friends, but I am very tuned in to this disaster and know it is going to impact my area in a big way.
What are your plans to help the people of Haiti?
What would you say if someone asked you to take in an orphaned child from Haiti indefinitely?

1 comment:

The Simple Country Chick said...

I would love to take in an orphan. I have actually been looking into adoption but the money is the problem. I was hoping that maybe you would have more information regarding who I would talk to about fostering one of these children? If you do would you mind emailing me? My email is camey_7@yahoo.com Thank you, Camey