Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday Night Pizza

We have been wanting to re-visit our tradition of making homemade pizzas on Friday night. With one text message to my sister, the amazing chef, within an hour, via email, I had the best dough and sauce recipe I have ever tried. 
Katherine made the dough and sauce from start to finish. It was deeeeelish. I am posting the recipe here so I will know where to find it. 
We are back in the homemade pizza business!
Enjoy!
Do you like to make homemade pizza? This is worth a try-especially the sauce.

Pizza Crust:
1/2 cup warm water
1 envelope instant yeast (2 1/4 t.)
Let water and yeast proof/bloom about 5 minutes until nice and frothy
Then add to it:
1 1/4 c. water
2 T. olive oil
4 c. (22 oz.) bread flour (note: I use all purpose flour here, only King Arthur brand) 
1 1/2 t. salt
Combine in mixer or by hand and knead about 5 minutes until a ball of dough forms.  Oil bowl and let rise, covered 1.5 - 2 hours. 
Set oven to 500.  I use a 11 x 18 size pan and this fills it nicely.  You could get 2 round pizzas out of this.  Put sauce and toppings on and bake 8-12 minutes until crust is a bit browned and bubbling and cheese is nicely melted.
Here is a really good, easy sauce that works so well with this crust:
1 - 28 oz. can whole or diced tomatoes
1 T. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1/4 t. dried oregano (or Italian blend)
1 t. red wine vinegar
a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes( it doesn't make it spicy, just deepens flavor, but is optional)
Blend in blender, food processor, anything to get a smooth puree or if your like your sauce chunky leave it, but mince the garlic first.  


Words from my sister:
The crust recipe is from Baking Illustrated and the sauce, Cooks Illustrated.  Best of the best in my opinion.  I make this pizza at least once a week and my family LOVES it. I have even made deep dish with it, the crust is to die for.  Hope you make it.  Let me know if you like it.

Just like every recipe she shares with me...This is the BEST.

No comments: