Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Pumpkin Cookies


My son, Jeffrey, is coming home for spring break this week. As much as I look forward to my grown children coming home, I totally look forward to cooking and baking for them.
These cookies have been Jeffrey's favorite for as long as I can remember. Generally, this is a "fall is here" recipe. Living in the tropics, there are several rituals that help me welcome the "seasons" and making these cookies is included in the fall "must do's" While Jeffrey was serving as a missionary, I made sure a fresh batch of these cookies made it to him occasionally.
Even if you do not like pumpkin, try these. I absolutely DO NOT and WILL NOT eat Pumpkin Pie--Not even on Thanksgiving. I am just not a Pumpkin Pie fan, however, give me Pumpkin in cookies, muffins, cakes,cheesecake, and most any other baked goods and I love it.
Pumpkin Cookies
1/2 C Butter
1 1/2 C Sugar
1 Egg
1 C Canned Pumpkin
1tsp Vanilla
2 1/2 C Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Nutmeg
1tsp Cinnamon
1/2 C. Chopped Nuts (optional)
1 C Chocolate Chips
Cream Butter and Sugar until fluffy. Beat in Egg, pumpkin, and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and add. Stir in Nuts and Chips
Drop by Teaspoonfuls on to lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Remove from Cookie Sheets while still warm.
You can double this recipe and then it uses the entire can of pumpkin- no having to figure out what to do with that other cup of pumpkin.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I love these, I always think of Jotchy, Jabba the Hut when I eat them!