Monday, May 21, 2007

Recital and Performance Memories

Yesterday was Katherine's Piano Recital. Watching her and the other children perform brought back a flood of recital memories. For many years, I have watched and enjoyed my son, Curt, an extremely accomplished pianist, perform at Piano recitals, Church meetings, and a number of events. Yesterday, I was reminded of all the times I would sit and hold my breath and pray for him the entire time he was performing at recitals and competitions. At the end of an especially difficult piece, I would let out my breath, relax, and breathe a sigh of relief on his behalf. As an accomplished Pianist and Organist, he was our Church Head Organist from the age of 13 until he left for college and Missionary service to Venezuela. He showed amazing responsibility at such a young age. An example of dedication and service for me!
As for other recital and performance memories.... read the end of this post.....





Going back some 41 years, my first memory of 'performing' publicly still gives me anxiety. It was the middle of a Kindergarten day. My mom came to pick me up from school so I could sing for her Relief Society group. I was to sing all 3 verses of "I Am A Child Of God"--alone! My later recollection was that the song had 20 verses! I stood up to sing, got through the first line, spotted my Grandma H., and headed for her lap! The performance was over and I don't think I have ever made it through a vocal solo again!
Those who know me would find this hard to believe as I am comfortable speaking to groups of all sizes and ages in various venues and on a broad range of subjects. I always say I would rather speak to thousands over play the piano or sing so even 1 person can hear me.
Any performance memories for you?


2 comments:

love.boxes said...

I would way rather speak to thousands than perform in any way as well. Leading music kills me.

This pianist in the photos is darling! :)

Jenni said...

gorgeous photos, love the white dress and white piano thing you've got going on there!