Monday, December 22, 2008

Extremes

Palm Beach County Contrasts
. This weekend, I went from working in the corn fields of Belle Glade (the agricultural section in Western Palm Beach County) to Sunday Champagne Brunch at The Breakers Hotel on the Island of Palm Beach (lifestyles of the rich and famous). A glorious lunch was enjoyed in
The Circle Room of The Breakers Hotel.
For my work, (I don't post much about the work I do as most of my clients are famous/prominent, etc. and I cannot discuss their lives in a public forum. My work takes me to the Island of Palm Beach each week.) Ron and I attended the Sunday Brunch in The Circle Room at The Breakers Hotel. Over the top deeeelish at every turn! Add Christmas decorations to the already breathtaking atmosphere of The Breakers Hotel, and you have the perfect setting for any Christmas celebration...yet....
In the middle of a Corn Field in Belle Glade, Florida, I found THE perfect setting for a Christmas Celebration. While participating with over 100 members of my Ward (Church) in a Crop Gleaning project, it was foremost in my mind that I was not only celebrating Christmas, I was LIVING Christmas.
On the Saturday before Christmas, when most people are shopping, baking ,and wrapping gifts, I had to opportunity to make some true Christmas preparations. The corn fields had been mechanically harvested; once the mechanical harvest is over, groups like ours go in and hand- pick (Glean) the balance of the corn left on the stalks. The Corn was placed in boxes and loaded onto a truck for delivery to a local food bank. Knowing I had a small part in putting fresh vegetables in the hands of some of the most needy residents of Palm Beach County gave me a feeling of joy and satisfaction.
Here are Megan and Taylor gleaning the corn.

Tonight, I submitted photos and an article for the local newspaper regarding this project. Getting the word out to local churches and service organizations is key to the success of the crop gleaning program. Every Saturday during harvest season (November-April), groups are needed for gleaning crops and preparing them for delivery to needy individuals in Palm Beach County.
Watch for the link to view all photos from The Crop Gleaning Day.
(I have hundreds!)
I'll post a few on the Wellington Ward Blog, also.
Merry Christmas!
What do you do to LIVE the Christmas Spirit?

No comments: