Monday, September 13, 2010

Walk Before You Run

It took me 50 years to embrace this truth...
You must WALK before you RUN.
Literally and figuratively.
It applies to every area of life.

For the past month, I have embraced Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk Injury Free Training program. Not because I am training for a marathon or 5K, but because I need the benefit of more cardio in my exercise program, yet want to avoid injury (something that was plaguing me the first half of the year).
My trainer suggested this program and even modified it to a more conservative schedule. In the beginning, I did not run longer than 30 seconds at a time. I was very impatient (yes, me impatient) because it just did not feel like I was doing much. I have stuck to this "baby steps" schedule and held back any sort of pushing beyond running 2 minutes at a time.
No injuries!
Now, I run 5 minutes, walk 5 minutes and still, no injuries.
My crazy hip is fine and I have NEVER had knee pain while doing this conservative approach.
Last week, I got another pair of running shoes (thanks to all my Birthday Gift Cards!) at Fit2Run (love love love that store).
I thought my others were fine until I put on the new ones.
Wow...the right equipment is amazing....another life lesson...literally and figuratively speaking!

With my push push personality, this Walk before Running is a difficult concept, yet one that is paying dividends. Now to spill it over to the rest of my Run Run Run life. (I'm working on it-honestly!)

Click here for more Jeff Galloway running information. Maybe I am the last person on the planet to  know about his running methods, but in case I am not...visit his site.

Do you know about Fit2Run? I seriously love that store. If you don't have one near you...ask them to open one! My first trip to a  Running Store was very intimidating, but I was immediately put at ease by the helpful and knowledgeable service.

No comments: