Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Spaghetti and Colossal Meatballs

Each year after Young Women Camp, I am inspired to step up my cooking game. Our camp cook prepares meals from scratch, using fresh ingredients. It is remarkable to see what she plans and executes for 100+ people 3 meals, 1 snack, and 1 dessert per day. All of this is done with a calm, beautiful spirit for $10 per person per day. No pre-made frozen meals, no hot dogs, nuggets, etc. just an abundance of fresh fruit, vegetables, and delicious well-balanced meals.

One of her crowd pleasers is homemade spaghetti sauce and giant 3-meat meatballs. I prepared this meal for Ron on Father's Day and he is a believer. Megan loves the sauce, but since she does not eat meat, I don't have her opinion on the meatballs. Katherine loved the sauce and meatballs. She is working hard to change her eating and she appreciated the homemade sauce with little sugar and no preservatives. She loves the meatballs, also.

As for me, I have had 1 meatball per day since Sunday and they are almost gone. I am looking forward to having Andrew home soon and I will plan to prepare this meal for him. (There will be no leftovers, I am certain)

Colossal 3-Meat Meatballs
1 1/2-2  C Fresh Bread Crumbs (don't use pre-made)
3/4 C Heavy Cream

1 C Chopped Prosciutto Ham
1 lb Ground Beef
1 lb Ground Pork
3 Eggs
3/4 C Grated Parmesan Cheese
2-3 T Fresh Parsley- minced
2-3 T Fresh Basil - chopped
1 T Fresh Oregano
5-6 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Pepper, ground
1 tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Soak the bread crumbs in the heavy cream for about 30 minutes.
Saute the garlic in a small amount of Olive Oil, set aside and cool.
Mix all other ingredients, except the Olive Oil, well. Use your hands (I wear disposable gloves)
Add the bread crumbs and garlic
Mix well.
Form into 2 1/2 inch meatballs and place on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil and lightly coated with Olive Oil

Bake at 400 for about 25-30 minutes.
Watch to see when meatballs are brown on the outside.
I turned mine at 15 minutes and they baked 15 more minutes.
This made 20 large meatballs. See photos below.

Spaghetti Sauce
Saute in Olive Oil:
1 Large diced onion
4-5 Cloves minced garlic

Add:
3- 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (use high quality)
1- 28 oz can whole tomatoes
1 tsp Granulated Sugar
1  tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Dried Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 C Chopped Fresh Parsley
1/4 C Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
1 T Fresh Oregano

Simmer on low for 2-3 hours, stirring.
I put the sauce in the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. No need to stir or watch closely.

Serve with cooked spaghetti noodles or the pasta of your choice.

Confession: Most of my adult cooking life, I have used spaghetti sauce from a JAR.  It will be a rare day that I ever go back to using pre-made sauce in a jar.













No comments: