Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Asperger/Autism Resource
"The Social Skills Picture Book"
and
"The Social Skills Picture Book For High School And Beyond"
by Dr. Jed Baker
You can purchase them HERE.
Fabulous...For EVERYONE!
Katherine's Doctor recommended these books and so do I.
However, my recommendation is not limited to those who have
Asperger or Autism and those who love them.
EVERYONE can benefit from these books.
Not just those with Asperger/Autism have difficulty in Social Situations.
Let's face it, conversations and communication can be
totally awkward and uncomfortable at times.
These books clearly show
how to have an engaging, appropriate conversation in a variety
of circumstances and a variety of subjects.
Teens, Adults, and children of any age will benefit from the
information so well presented in each book.
At school, Katherine attends a weekly Social Skills group
with other Asperger children. In just these few short months,
I have noticed a positive difference in the way she communicates.
The once a week group is a wonderful support, however, Katherine,
as with most Asperger children, needs daily practice and
reinforcement. She will need this practice for life, and not just
a few times on a subject and then we are done.
It is repeat, practice, repeat, practice, repeat.....
I am planning to use the High School Book for our own "at home"
Social Skills practice...a sort of "textbook" Up until now, I have been
creating scenarios for her to practice and review. These books
cover so many areas that I would have never thought to include.

Perhaps you are blessed to not struggle in the Social Skills department. ( I think we all struggle in our own way) And you very well may not. However, reading these books gives a glimpse in to the difficulty others may have in very every day common interactions. The situations presented on the pages of these books seem so simple and basic for the "average" person. I thought I was compassionate and understanding to those with Aspergers, yet I am even more aware of the need to be patient and supportive with those who struggle in very simple Social situations. The more I know, the more support and compassion I can give to those in need.

2 comments:

the Rowleys said...

Is the social skills picture book good for elementary age children? I work with young children with autism and wonder if this would be a good book to read and recommed to parents.

Emilyah said...

Amazing, we were just discussing having conversations, social skills, and the like at dinner last night. We have a good friend with Aspergers, I'll have to check into these. Thanks Shauna.