Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where Were You?

September 11, 2001
Where were you when you heard about the attacks
on The World Trade Center?
Who were You With?
Who Told You?
What are your thoughts on today?
Is Your life different as a result of 9/11/01?
Here are some of the last photos I took of
The Twin Towers and surrounding New York City
Here is Andrew with his little boy Cousins.
The Twin Towers are behind Andrew to the right.
July 2001
Little did we know this was our last visit with the
World Trade Center as part of the sky line.
Ever so faint in the background are the Twin Towers behind
my nephew, Lumpy, in his stroller. Katherine is on the fence to
the left. I have a group cousin photo, but just have to find it.
Will post later! Stay tuned!
My sister and our little girls as we were visiting
The Statue of Liberty that day.
God Bless America and all those who lost their lives on 9/11/01
So Where Were You?
How Did You Hear About The Attacks?
Who Told You?
Who Were You With?
I was at home with Megan and Katherine.
I called my hair salon to make an appointment with Karen.
My neighbor, Vivian answered the phone at the salon and said,
get the TV On! Something terrible is happening in New York!
I got the TV on for sure...
Then I got on the phone to Ron and so many others.
I called Jeffrey in Idaho at BYU-I and woke him up with the news.
(If you know Jeffrey...you don't wake him up for anything...not even
an attack on The World Trade Center)
Curt was in Venezuela servind a mission
and Andrew was at Welligton High School.
First I thought of my brother in law who could be in the City
and my sister and their children.
Once I heard his voice and knew they were alright, I
breathed somewhat easier.
At this time, I remember feeling such a deep love for
my family, friends, and country.
It was a time like no other I had experienced.
I just wanted to reach out and hug everyone!

4 comments:

Linnea said...

Scary day...I was sitting in the bank parking lot and heard it on the radio. I went home, and saw the 2nd plane hit, then I drove to work and heard about the one hitting the pentagon. I remember not being able to work, and having to go home because I was so worried...my dad worked near DC at the time and I couldnt get ahold of him. It was all so surreal at the moment. I remember watching the news and watching the people jump from the windows. What a horrid day. And, like you said, I remember feeling such deep love for family and friends, I just wanted to hug everyone!

Cathi said...

We were home in bed when we received the first of more than I can count phone calls. NY's brother phoned and we then watched the TV in horror. NY works for American Airlines and his flights were LAX to JFK, Boston and DC. More often than not, I would go to work with him and we would spend his layovers exploring and enjoying those three great cities.
We had decided the night before to go to the San Diego Temple the next morning. As we retired to bed, NY stated he had a strong feeling we shouldn’t go. We both thought it was so odd. Never would we have ever thought the spirit would guide us to not go to the Temple. However, had we gone, we would have left the house at 4am, been in the Temple until the early afternoon with our cell phones of course turned off. No one, not one person would have known where we were.
Our phone rang all day because our friends and family were ringing to make sure we were home and not on those flights.
I don’t know if there is anyone in the USA who wasn’t affected by that horrible day.
Airline employees suffered with huge wage and benefit cuts, which also dominoed to the public. We are at war. I think everyone is still feeling the repercussions and we probably always will. We lost our safe place.

Gardener said...

I was with my sweetheart, cleaning the Harold B Lee Library on the early morning crew. We went in to the learning resource center to watch the TV and then sat there and watched the 2nd plane fly into the other building and the buildings collapsed. We were horrified and felt so helpless. We looked at each other and wondered, what will this mean for our future and the future of our unborn children? We still fear for them, but are so grateful for all the men and women who are fighting for our freedom today. God Bless America!

v johnson said...

We were living in California at that time... I was still living with my parents... I left for work at 6:30 am, soon after the second plane hit. This was pretty scary because it was Eric's first week with NGC and he was in New York. I called to wake him and ask where exactly he was... luckly they changed hotels the previous night and were in Long Island instead of the Sheraton Manhattan. Whew! It was a long day because I worked for an orthodontist... we had a little bity black and white tv that barely got reception for us to watch what was going on... It seemed like forever until I got home to be with my family... and forever until Eric came home a few days later... Hard to believe it has been 7 years.